Monday, October 10, 2011

Continuously keep studying, the more you study, you can study forever...

HEY FRIENDS!

I can never get sick of the feeling or saying to you that I survived another week! Partially because I can hardly believe that I lived... So, week 3 - DONE!

Last week was pretty intense. We started posture clinics in the afternoons, which are really more like dialogue recitation because we haven't received any substantial corrections on the postures themselves yet, we've just been reciting the dialogue for the postures to the senior teachers and our small groups. They say the posture corrections will come later when Bikram himself gives lectures on them. I managed to find a study technique that works pretty well for me, and have been staying current at least with the postures we do from day to day. I study the first letter of every word in the dialogue first, then just the first word of every line. By that point, I dont need the full written dialogue anymore, and with one word cues, I can recall and finish completely. My recitation is usually strong, they say, and my voice is very melodic (uh, yeah... musician?).
Sans one posture, where we had a terrible senior teacher leading our group who wasnt very nice and made me be the martyr for the group. We finished delivering Eagle Posture and went straight into Standing Head to Knee, which few were really prepared for. They started calling names and guess who they happened to call first?! - Yeah... Suckage. She rudely told me not to waste her time and go sit down. She told another student who was using her own body for recall of the dialogue to NOT do the posture while she was teaching it. The poor student said she was just trying anything to remember the words, and the teacher sharply replied "Oh, is that your opinion? Because I didnt ask for it. Sit Down!"... I hear through the grapevine that many, many students complained about that one to the head staff.
We also started anatomy lectures in the evening with Dr. Jim Preddy, an ER physician from Las Vegas - - - HELL YA! A guy on MY level! LOL! He is so clever, and so knowledgeable, and an incredible teacher. We covered the skeletal system, muscular system, and nervous system last week and tested over it today. Thankfully anatomy is a strong point of mine and with very little studying, I aced it! Though, to be fair, I think even the internationals, who knew very little English, managed to ace it. . . We will have Dr. P with us for the rest of this week, and out of all the staff and teachers I've met so far, I will be sorriest to see him go. What a guy! He's an osteopathic doctor (D.O.) and has been adjusting and cracking spines all week on his own spare time! He's also showed us some really useful stretches.
My yoga practice is getting pretty solid again, and the temps and humidity in the torture chamber have been great. I've decided that while I'm here, I have to work the most on Locus Pose and Standing Bow Pulling Pose. I may not have time to get the back strength for a really pretty Locus, but I am determined to work on the flexibility to get a really solid, full Bow Pose. Hopefully I can snag some good senior teachers while I'm here and get some help.
Towards the end of last week my emotions were a little raw and it just so happened that Friday night at Posture Clinic, we had a senior teacher named Terri, from Mass. . . She was SO kind, SO funny, SO inspiring, SO encouraging, she had everyone in the room in tears. We couldn't help it! After being ridden HARD all week by various staff and stresses, it was just a relief and a release to hear something positive!

In other news, I got to see Venice Beach this weekend and roam around in the sunshine with my cousin! It was beautiful! She says the next trip we do will be a Malibu beach, hiking, and coastal seafood! YUM!!!

So here we are in Week 4! Lots more dialogue to study, lots more anatomy to get through. The title of this post is a spoof off of a bit of dialogue, for those of you who didn't catch it. Sorry the communication has been less, we have been forced to be incredible efficient with what little free time we have each day.
It will pick up EVEN MORE next week when the Anatomy lectures are over and we have 2-a-day Posture Clinics and blaze a trail through the remainder of the dialogues. Also, Bikram will be back to give some lectures and likely make us watch more Bollywood movies until 4 in the morning.... Keep me in your prayers. . . LOL!

Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment